Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Fifth of March

This blog has been created so that I can express opinions and thoughts that I would like to share with other people or to at least have out in the world. This is not by any means a personal diary or a total explanation of the way I think or feel. I do not believe that I am always right. All I can do is guess, I'm blundering around as much as everyone else is. I can simply draw on past experiences and hope that my knowledge from times past will help me on my forward journey. I will generalize. I am human.
The objectifying of women: Lately, it seems to me that magazines such as Seventeen and Cosmogirl have really tried to help girls learn how to become confident, strong young women. I think this is amazing. This is not an easy thing to do by any means. But I do find that their methods are flawed. I mean, sure, the magazines are supported by advertising and I really have no knowledge of how choosy a magazine can be about who they pick to advertise. But if you look through these magazines, all of them are FILLED with PERFECT people. I mean that is a Duh. They are definitley magazines more about fashion and makeup than changing the world although I see many attempts on their part to find a good balance. I'm not saying modeling is bad. I'm just saying the way women models pose...is not great. The prone, vulnerable, save me look....well I mean, if you see these attractive people who are posing like that and you can see or know that they are getting whatever they want because of it, its hard not to want to pose and look like that. Go on facebook. In the pictures, girls pose the same way. They pout, they look sad, they look vulnerable, they say come hither with their eyes (haha). They imitate all those styles in the magazines in order to look attractive. Honestly I just think they look stupid. Why is it that girls take so many pictures? Is it so that they can show off themselves? Or is it a phenomena that is not gender specific. But not only do I think that magazines are flawed in THAT way, I also think that they give girls the wrong idea about guys. They objectify men as well!!!! The only guys who are in the magazine are the "cute ones". The only ones who are in pinups are slathered with oil and have fabulous abs and arms. These magazines teach us to have not only a high standard for women but also for men. All the men are either giving a gorgeous grin or are staring coldly. What are we supposed to think? Even when we DO think about these problems, how can we not help feeling influenced by them?

No comments: