Friday, March 7, 2008

On Women's Sports

Anybody seen the new group on facebook called P.A.W.s? No, no, nobody? Whether as a joke or not, the description of this group is as follows:
P.A.W.S. is for those sports fans who just cannot stand women's sports. When watching sports center and the women's highlights come on, you just laugh. Sports were made for men. women are sometimes acceptable in volley ball, tennis, and cooking.
Anybody offended yet? No? Well, weirdly enough, I am. This is an ironic time to find this group because I am just getting revved up for my off-season training. Ok, yeah, this group has 33 people in it. But, I mean, come on. That is pathetic. I guess it would be petty and small to start a group like P.A.M.S. (People Against Men's Sports). Or would it be? Yeah, its the principle of the thing. The amount of women in sports now is fantastic. I mean Title IX was NOT implemented all that long ago. Talk about sexist. You don't have to enjoy women's sports, but at least respect them for what they are. I mean, they liberate women, even if for a blissful hour, from the stereotypes that society puts on them. When I am out there on the playing field, I am, thankfully, at peace with myself. I don't care what I look like because there is something graceful and strengthening in just playing a sport. But maybe these guys (cause yeah, it is mainly guys except for one girl who joined to tell them to GO DIE) make a good point. Women's sports are not ANYWHERE close to where they could be. Professional leagues, yeah, they say, they are laughable. No one watches women's lacrosse or soccer or basketball on television (or at least only a select few). Many women's sports aren't even professional. The only reason people know about professional women's volleyball is because they wear next to nothing. Thats pathetic and sad. This group is pathetic and sad. Is it cliche to suggest that these guys are so uncomfortable with the idea of girls gaining equality in what is usually thought of as THEIR sphere of sports that they ACTUALLY have to start a group commenting on the ridiculousness of women doing anything more than cooking? Maybe, then, the problem is not women's sports. Maybe its ideas about women. Oh yes, sexism is still around.

No comments: